HOWTO supervise customer equipments
Why do that¶
In a cybersecurity context you have to raise alerts when some equipments of your customer become silent, in order to have a strong supervision. The goal of this HOWTO is to show the mecanism to track efficiently the customer equipments.
There are two goals :
- To have a kibana dashboard with all equipments in real time
- To raise alerts when a device doesn\'t send logs during a specific period of time.
This HOWTO concerns only Log Management platforms (LMC) because it uses
the result of
You need : - a processing cluster (apache storm) - a queuing cluster (apache kafka) - an indexing cluster (elasticsearch) - an alerting motor (elastalert)
What to do¶
Understand the supervision chain¶
To reduce the equipment supervision impact on the platform performance, we have implement severals mecanisms :
Configure the processing to keep only the last seen equipment¶
This type of processing runs in apache Storm. We use a statefull punchlet to convert many events per host by only one equipment message with the last timestamp seen.
The punchlet update in memory a map containing all equipments. At each period configured in "punchlet_tick_frequency", the map is sent to the next component (elasticsearch or kafka).
Take a look first on your PunchPlatform configuration to keep a more
recently version of the Punch -
Here is an example of the punchlet :
HOW TO use it ?¶
- Simply add the punchlet to your processing topology
- Configure the next component to send theses messages in the right elasticsearch
the format of theses messages are different from the events. You have to custom your configuration. Take a look on the last section of the documentation.
Configure your Kibana to construct the equipment supervision dashboard¶
Add a new index pattern¶
The default value is equipments-
Construct your dashboard¶
A good point may be to display:
- the count of equipments
- the repartition of equipments by channel/technology
- the repartition of equipents by time
- the list of equipments (search)
- the repartition of alerts if configured
- the content of alerts if configured
For instance :
Configure the Alerting¶
The PunchPlatform provides the specific Elastalert type of rule called SupervisionEquipmentsRule.
You have to filled the following parameters:
- field: the field of the equipment, for instance "host"
- timestamp_to_track: the timestamp to check the health of the host, for instance "obs.ts"
- buffer_time_monitoring: the period of time to check the health. If timestamp_to_track is not in the last buffer_time_monitoring, an alert is raised. For instance: minutes: 5
Example of elastalert configuration here : equipments_supervision.yml
Schedule alerting in Shiva¶
The PunchPlatform provides a resilient backend to run scripts called Shiva.
With shiva, you have :
- Monitoring (PunchPlatform Admin)
- Configuration management (git)
Example of configuration is coming soon. Please wait by reading the Shiva chapter.
Equipment message structure¶